Visitors to the upgraded Buckley Avenue may find themselves taking a trip down memory lane.
For years Buckley Avenue was the main road into the former airbase. It is named after Flight Lieutenant Maurice Buckley who was based at Hobsonville Point in the 1930s and Base Commander for a period in 1937.
But with Hobsonville Point Road now the main thoroughfare through Hobsonville Point, Buckley Avenue faces the future as a quieter, residential street.
The street tells a story, however, through clever integration of the area’s history into its design and landscaping. There is a focus on using magnolia trees that previously existed in the area and incorporating heritage-style street lighting. The old-style bus stop sits in its original location and has a new life as a relaxing seating area. Its walls will soon reveal stories that reference the past.
A new wetland and boardwalk has also been constructed in a public reserve with surrounding seating, and has a path which will connect to the future coastal walkway that is planned for the perimeter of Hobsonville Point.
Further along Buckley Avenue, the original Hobsonville memorial has been joined by a new three piece artwork - ‘Heart of Stumps, Tool and Clip’ by artist Steve Woodward.