Need a break from your standard recipe rotation this lockdown? Try whipping up Little Creature’s signature green-lipped mussels with tomato and chorizo. Easy to make, but still a little luxurious; it’s just the ticket with some crusty ciabatta and (of course) a cold Little Creatures lager. Give it a go - it’s sure to make you the most popular member of your bubble. And if you’re chomping at the bit to eat out again, sit tight - Little Creatures will be fully operational in Level 2. Hang in there!
Green lipped mussels, roasted tomato and chorizo
- 1kg green lipped mussels, cleaned
- 150g good quality chorizo, sliced
- 4 large ripe plum tomatoes
- 150ml white wine
- 20g Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2g chilli flakes
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- 70ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1g sea salt
- 1g cracked black pepper
- 1 small ciabatta loaf
- 1 lemon in wedges
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half and add to the oven tray with half the olive oil, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast until the skin of the tomatoes begins to blister and turn golden (about 20 minutes).
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add onion, garlic and chorizo. Cook until light brown throughout then add tomatoes and vinegar, simmer for a further 20 mins, stirring occasionally and mashing the tomatoes to a sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large fry pan on high and add mussels. After two minutes add the wine and place lid on to steam mussels open (about two minutes longer).
- Once mussels are open add to tomato sauce along with the liquor from the pan and the parsley. Stir everything together, taste, and adjust if needed.
- Serve in a bowl with lemon wedges. Tear apart the crusty ciabatta to soak up the sauce. Make sure you have a cold can of Catalina on hand to wash it all down.